Prompt: 21st Century Version of Miss Polly Baker's historic speech

Hello, all.  This is a short paper I wrote for a reader response in class last fall.  If you have the time, you should look up Miss Polly Baker's speech.  My prompt was to write a 21st century version of this speech.  I took a twist and wrote the speech in a conservative Christian perspective.
(In order to avoid confusion, I made up the name for this speech and applied it to a modern controversy)



The Speech of Miss Ellie Smith

May I speak a few words to the jury on my behalf:  I, Ellie Smith, stand before you today accused of violating the anti-discrimination law in New Mexico.  As many of you know, I am a devout Christian who firmly believes in the laws and ordinances of my religion.  I do not boastfully reject those with opposing beliefs.  Rather, I kindly expressed to a couple of the same sex that I could not condone their union by photographing their wedding day.  While many may call me a bigot, homophobe, or close-minded individual, I refuse to allow these people to tread upon me without speaking a word to defend my plight.  Have you all forgotten the first amendment of the United States  Constitution?  I will remind you of the words that were penned over two hundred years ago, "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances".  It is my constitutional right to exercise my religious beliefs.  The Christian bible clearly forbids men and women from marrying the same sex.  My actions to refuse service to this gay couple were not motivated by hatred towards these individuals.  I refused service to this couple because I cannot condone something that my Faith is strongly against.  While I do not agree with the lifestyle of homosexuals, my religion does command me to love others.  Ask my neighbors, friends, and family, and they will confirm that I have never been discriminatory towards homosexuals.  I have always been friendly and hospitable to those who live this lifestyle.  I do not deserve to be mocked and publicly humiliated for faithfully practicing my religion.  Can you tell me why I can be legally sued for exercising my religion, and does not the first amendment tell me that I have the right to do so?  Would not it be considered admirable and commendable when an individual diligently and faithfully practices one's religious beliefs?  Rather, my business has been destroyed, and I cannot go to a grocery store, gas station, or mall without being verbally attacked by those in my community.  Furthermore, you all should consider the potential businesses that you are squandering.  Thousands of people across our nation are in fear of opening businesses due to the fact that they may be in the same position that I am in today.  A close relative of mine has had the desire to establish a wedding chapel on his property, but he, too, fears that he could suffer from similar consequences.  Many more businesses in America, such as bakeries, have been forced to shut down because they refused to promote the union of same-sex couples due to religious convictions.  Small business is over half of all of the United State's sales.  Do you want to continue dissipating small businesses that promote the American dream?  I ask you, the jury, to consider my quandary, and I will leave you with this thought:  The forming of our Constitution was not something that was accomplished without difficulty.  Our forefathers sacrificed and fought for this document that so many of you lightly esteem.  Do you think they would be encouraged or demoralized to find that a citizen of the United States would one day be brought to court for practicing the rights of the first amendment that they so valiantly fought for?

Comments