Enjoy it.

Weddings.  The last year or two have been full of them.  They are so beautiful, and I absolutely love attending them.  

I married my best friend on May 20 of this year.  It was one of the best days of my life, and I thought I would share some things I learned throughout the pre-wedding season.

Your wedding is special, sacred, and short-lived, so ENJOY it!  So many brides feel the pressure of everyone around them to have an extravagant wedding.  After all, it is just once in a lifetime, right?  Right.  But, why make one of the most beautiful seasons of your life so hectic, chaotic, and stressful?  It's absolutely mind-boggling to watch brides feel miserable throughout wedding planning just because they feel their big day has to measure up to a cyber-social media website that sets unrealistic expectations for every girl's wedding.  So what if you don't have a $5,000 wedding dress and a $20,000 steak catered meal for your guests?  When did we feel the need to make a wedding all about the physical aspects, rather than the sacred union of two souls?  Some of the best weddings I have ever attended have been extremely simple, but the spirit was so very pleasant.

No, I do not think there's a thing in the world wrong with going all out for your wedding.  If that's what you truly want to do, then do it!  Just remember to enjoy it.  It's such a special time in life, and you don't want to look back with regrets because you tried to take on more than you could handle.  Yes, I did get stressed out.  It's going to happen, but you shouldn't live in a permanent state of worry and anxiety throughout the months leading up to your wedding.

Marriage is so special, and it's one of the most beautiful gifts God has ever given man-kind, so remember your wedding day is about a God-given gift.  It's not about the fancy decor, food, music, or number of people who attend.  While those things are nice and they most definitely make a wedding even more memorable, they are not the focus.  The focus should be on preparing yourself for a life-long marriage with another soul.  If only we would spend more time on preparing ourselves for marriage, rather than the wedding day.  Marriage is a lifetime, and the wedding day is only 24 hours. Make it special, not stressful.

I do hesitate saying some of these things because I don't want others to think I know everything, and my wedding season had no flaws.  It did have flaws, and I stressed out way too much about such insignificant details.  I wish I had focused more on preparing myself for marriage than just our wedding day.  I say all of this, not to look down upon others, but to share some things I realized during my own wedding preparations.



With love,

Grace Sloan

Comments